Reserves overrun

THE Lindisfarne Two Blues showed that they were committed to the task at hand and played to their system and game plan to completely overrun a struggling New Norfolk outfit to claim the 2021 SFL Reserves Premiership Cup.

The Two Blues ran out 66-point victors in a convincing display of finals football at North Hobart Oval on Saturday.

The Two Blues would not allow the Eagles a look in over four quarters as they applied relentless pressure at every contest along with some fierce tackling which forced the Eagles to turn the footy over on many occasions.

The Eagles looked to be switched on in the opening 15 minutes of the term, but their only goal came early with the dashing Rowan Thomason passing to Tyson Eiszele who in-turn found key forward Clint Curtain who kicked truly.

The Two Blues hit back quickly finding big forward Oliver Rand on the lead on two occasions, but he could only register minor scores. Lindisfarne pressed forward once again finding Jayden Harris who opened the Two Blues account for their first major.

The midfield battle at this stage had Eagles Andrew Minchin, Torne Tangata and Jack Hills go head-to-head with Andrew Clark, Jarrod Fisher and Dylan Zantuck while Two Blues ruck man Thomas Currie was up against Eagle Corey Ransley.

The Two Blues slammed through another quick goal from only 10 metres out due to an Eagle handballing error followed by another major from the hard running Jacob Kent which gave the Two Blues a 15-point lead at quarter time. They were looking more dangerous when entering their forward fifty.

Quarter time scores were Lindisfarne 3.3 (21) to New Norfolk 1.0 (6).

Lindisfarne continued to dominate the contest in the second term with goals to Jarrod Fisher and Jayden Harris for his second which gave the blues a 25-point break.

Moments later the Two Blues transferred the footy from a kick in from full back for a coast-to-coast goal to the dangerous Jacob Kent.

At this stage the signs were not good for the Eagles.

The Eagles were forced to move Rohan Heron from the forward line to centre half back to try and stop the Two Blues adding to their score line.

The experienced Andrew Clark slotted through another major for the Two Blues to see them take a commanding 39-point lead into the main break.

Half time scores were Lindisfarne 7.5 (47) to New Norfolk 1.2 (8).

The Eagles made several positional changes after half time and gained some control with the footy in the early stages of the third term but could not break through the Two Blues backline which was well led by Ryan Edmondson.

Big Eagle ruck man Michael Murray was moved to the half forward line. Blair Wardlaw went onto the ball and Kyle Walker into the ruck, but nothing was working for the Eagles on a day they would prefer to forget.

The Two Blues continued to dominate with Dylan Zantuck, Daniel Reimers and Toby Jackson having a major influence throughout the game.

When Jack Anning and Jacob Kent booted another two majors the Two Blues had both hands on the cup at three quarter time leading by 58 points.

Three quarter time scores Lindisfarne 10.8 (68) to New Norfolk 1.4 (10).

In the last term both sides were going through the motions as the result was inevitable.

Lindisfarne kicked the only goal of the term to be big winners by 66 points on the most important day of the season and prove they were the best side in the competition.

For the Eagles, no one tried harder than Torne Tangata who had a great season.

Rohan Heron certainly put the brakes on Lindisfarne going on to an even bigger winning margin.

Corey Ransley battled hard all day in the ruck and around the ground.

Jack Hills and Blair Wardlaw were busy all day.

Kyle Walker played a fantastic second half and Rowan Thomason backed himself with the footy in hand.

Even though things did not go to plan for the Eagles on the day, they can hold their heads high after a strong showing for the season defeating all sides underneath them on the ladder and performing well against Dodges Ferry and Huonville in the lead up finals.

New Norfolk assistant coach Bradley Chaplin addressed the players after the contest and said that the result was disappointing, but the club and supporters should be proud of what the squad had achieved and made the point that with another level of commitment and fitness they could go the next step in season 2022.

They were simply beaten by a better team. Let’s see what they can bring next season.

That’s footy. See you all next year.

Report by Wayne Walker.