Timber theft hits grandstand reno

SCHEDULED repairs to the grandstand at Boyer Oval have taken a setback after a significant amount of timber was stolen from the construction site last week.

Only starting last week, the maintenance works were to repair the top three timber rows of the tiered seating grandstand.

However, on July 20 timber was stolen from the site.

Derwent Valley Mayor Ben Shaw said it was disappointing.

“It’s extremely disappointing that people feel the need to steal and also stall the very much needed upgrade,’’ Mr Shaw said.

“It is very disappointing that it’s got to the point of being condemned for use.

“However there was some light at the end of the tunnel with a temporary fix up that would allow the stand to reopen in a few weeks.

“This is now in jeopardy and that is devastating for the football club’s end of season.”

Mr Shaw has called on Labor candidate Brian Mitchell to recommit his previous Federal election promise of funding to Boyer Oval, while also calling on Liberal candidate Susie Bower to make a similar promise.

“The Derwent Valley council will be doing everything in its power to fix facilities at Boyer Oval but it’s really out of council’s reach to do anything of substance given our very small budgets,’’ he said.

“It would be fantastic to see those promises early to give the clubs and community ease of mind that something will be done.”

Video surveillance of the theft has been passed on to the police, though members of the public who may have any additional information are being asked to come forward and assist.

The police can be contacted at 131 444, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers Tasmania at 1800 333 000.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.